Immigration to the USA and the role of certified translation for the American immigration process

Immigration to the USA and the role of certified translation for the American immigration process

Tatiana Osoblivaia


Translation services


The United States is the world's largest economy, and it has the power to be one of the most welcoming nations for immigrants. The US government has made it easier than ever for individuals to apply for a visa and move to America.


Main questions to yourself before immigration to the United States

When you're considering moving to a new country, there's a lot to consider: What kind of visa will you need? How long will you be able to stay? What are the requirements for getting a green card? How can you get financial assistance while you're here?

These are some of the most important questions that should be answered before making any decisions about moving.

If you are planning to move to the United States, there are several things that you need to know about immigration and types of visas.


There are several ways to immigrate to the United States:

Family-based immigration - this is when you are sponsored by a family member who is already legally living in the US. You must have an eligible relative who can sponsor you for immigration purposes. The main types of family-based immigrant visas are immediate relatives, family preference categories, and employment-based preferences. These include spouses, children, parents, and siblings of U.S. citizens; unmarried adult children of U.S. citizens; spouses and unmarried children (under age 21) of green card holders; and certain special immigrants (including ministers).

Employment-based immigration - this is when you are sponsored by an employer who wants to hire you but cannot find an American worker with the right skills and qualifications for the job opening they have available in their company or organization. There are two categories of employment-based visas: non-immigrant visas (which allow someone to come to the United States temporarily) and immigrant visas (which allow someone to live permanently in the United States).


Types of visas for moving to the USA

Visa Types Description

Nonimmigrant Visas. These are temporary visas that allow you to travel to the United States for a specific purpose such as tourism, business or education. You must have a nonimmigrant visa before you can apply for entry into the United States at a U.S. port of entry (airport or seaport).

Immigrant Visas. If you want to live permanently in the U.S., then you will need an immigrant visa, which is usually sponsored by an immediate relative who is already an American citizen. The majority of these applications are based on family relationships between U.S. citizens and foreign-born individuals living abroad who wish to join their families in the United States permanently.

Refugee and Asylee Status. If you fear persecution because of your race, religion, nationality or political opinion in your home country, then you may be eligible for refugee status or asylum in the United States.


Main steps to prepare for the USA visa applying

There are several steps you have to do before applying for a visa to the USA.

First, you must have an offer of employment from a US employer. This can be in any field, but it must be an offer that requires specialized knowledge and skills. If you are not able to get an offer of employment in the USA, then you should consider other options such as investing in real estate or starting a business. Or, in the case of family-based immigration, U.S. citizens and permanent residents submit a petition for a visa on behalf of family members who wish to immigrate to the United States.

Next, you must be able to prove that you have enough money to support yourself and your family while living in the United States. The amount required will vary depending on your age and family status, but it is usually at least $45,000 USD per year. You can show this by providing documentation such as bank statements or pay stubs from your current job. If your current salary is higher than the minimum requirement and you will continue working during your stay in the United States, then you may not need as much proof of finances as someone who has no income or savings.

The final step is applying for the appropriate visa category based on your situation and the purpose of your travel. Apply online with USCIS (the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) by submitting all required documents and fees electronically through Immigrant Visa Electronic Application System (EVUS). You will then receive an email notification from USCIS confirming receipt of your application package.


The importance of certified translations for the USCIS

Before documents submitting you have to remember about official document translations for immigration to the United States. The USCIS has a translation policy that states that all documents submitted to the USCIS must be translated into English by a certified translator. This is true for any immigration procedure, including naturalization applications, permanent resident applications and other forms.

The USCIS will accept translations from any accredited organization or person, but only if they are certified by the National Association of Legal Translators and Interpreters (NALTI) or another recognized accrediting agency. The certification should be included with each translated document.

Polilingua translation services can provide you with a complete, meticulous and speedy service with many years of experience in providing certified translations that are accepted by authorities in the U.S. These documents can be necessary to obtain a visa or green card, and there are no exceptions to this requirement: if you fail to provide certified translations, you would likely be refused the visa or green card.



Our translations are performed by translators carefully selected to align with the subject matter and content of your project. They meet and exceed international quality standards. Upon request, we will provide you with a certificate attesting to the precision of our translations